Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Welcome to Locke's Library!

Locke @ Tuzigoot NM, Arizona (2004)
So, how did the "epiphany" for this idea develop?

Locke and I were partners for 12 years, and in December 2009 we moved into our new apartment along the lagoon in Foster City, California. During the move, I noticed how his papers and publications were scattered all over the place. So, I mentioned that we should consolidate all of his published works into one of our bookshelves and call it "Locke's Library". Unfortunately, 3 months later I would depart to work on the East Coast, so this idea had to be placed on the back burner until I returned home.                                      
Just a few weeks before Locke would pass away in December 2010, I made a promise to him that this would be a project I wanted to fulfill on his behalf. Always modest, he mentioned that I didn't need to do this, knowing that I would be grieving terribly with his pending loss. But, I mentioned to him that although I know I didn't need to do this, I strongly wanted to, as my own tribute to his love and legacy.

Locke was the ultimate librarian, specializing in research & reference. As a non-librarian, my own research & reference skills are quite limited, so I knew that I would need outside help from his librarian friends to scour the internet for all of Locke's work. Locke would be proud of my effort as I was able to find on my own the following: his stint at the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine; various association activities including the more elusive American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), Librarians Association of the University of California (LAUC), Special Libraries Association (SLA) and the Virtual Reference Organization (VRO) of the Association of Jesuit Colleges & Universities (AJCU); several journal abstracts; and all the professional and personal tributes regarding his loss.

Locke's publications reflect a very diverse Curriculum Vitae (CV), with topics ranging from technical subjects such as science and technology to cultural issues such as the "Male Librarian" and diversity to nursing topics that he actively pursued in honor of his mother Barbara (Registered Nurse), sister Barbara "BEM" (Health Information Manager and Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ)) and sister Melanie (Nurse Practitioner).

CHANGES & CITATIONS:
If you come upon a publication or reference of Locke's work that is not listed here or incorrectly listed, please contact me (al_yeh at yahoo.com) for inclusion. Feel free to utilize one of these publications within your own work, but we request professional courtesy on Locke's behalf with a proper citation within your bibliography. All copyright information of Locke Morrisey's work is noted at the source repository. 

Sit back & relax by the virtual fireplace, take an online book from the shelf, and enjoy Locke's Library!

>> Al

No comments:

Post a Comment